January 4, 2012
Posted by on
Listen. This stuff works. I’ve tried it myself and have had clients try it too. If you can suck it up for the next 4 weeks and do these 3 workouts per week, you will find yourself in a much better fitness level than right now. Question is, can you stay consistent for these short 4 weeks?
If you said yes, read on ‘cos you’re about to surprise yourself with 4 weeks of effort. If you said no, don’t waste your time reading this. Please continue your eternal search for the magic pill.
– – – – – – – – – – x – – – – – – – – – –
You’re an intermediate if…
- You can comfortably perform 25+ legit pushups and 10+ solid pullups/chinups.
- You (at least) know what ‘linear progression’ means.
- You are aware of proper technique in most lifts and are capable of learning new moves fairly quickly.
- You have done one or more of my previous workouts.
You’re an enthusiastic beginner if…
- You understand you are a beginner and are ready to put in the work required to move up the fitness ladder.
- You have no ego and are open to modifying moves to suit your fitness level.
- You are not an idiot and are open to learning technique and fixing your movement patterns before jumping up in weight.
- You don’t hesitate to comment and ask for modifications and/or ways to work around your injuries, constraints etc.
- A pair of dumbbells and a chinups bar/ledge/door
- A 6ft x 3ft patch of ground
- About 3 hours of time per week
- A no-excuse no-BS mindset
Do the following in as many sets as required. Take breaks as required. The point is to “warm-up”, so don’t over do it and get wasted.
- 100 Jumping jacks
- 40 Lunges (10/leg)
- 40 Squats
- 20 Broad jumps
- 60 Arm circles (30/side)
- 40 Pushups
- 60 Hinges
- 60 Jumping jacks
- 20 Lunges (10/leg)
- 20 Squats
- 10 Broad jumps
- 60 Arm circles (30/side)
- 40 Knee-pushups
- 60 hinges
- Weighted jump squats: 5 sets of 8-12 reps (Goal is to use a weight that allows you to clear the ground comfortably for the entire set. No ugly reps.)
- Weighted pushups: 5 sets of 8-12 reps (Use a weight that allows you to push off the ground explosively for the entire set. No grinding out reps.)
- Chinups: 5 sets of max reps (but not going to failure in any set.)
- Do only 3 sets per move.
- Modify. Do bodyweight squat jumps, do pushups or knee pushups instead of weighted ones and do let-me ins instead of chiups.
75 Weighted burpees (Rest as required. Explode in each pushup and each jump. No blurpees. Only solid strong burpees.)
- Do 40-75 regular burpees based on your fitness level. If you can 10+ pushups, do 6-step-burpees, else stick to 4-step burpees.
- Explode in each pushup and each junp. No blurpees. Only solid strong burpees.
- One-arm clean and press: 15 sets of 2 reps per arm (Choose a dumbbell you can press only 5 times. Clean the dumbbell violently and press it twice. Drop, rest 30 sec and repeat on other arm.)
- High knees in place or wall sprints: 4 sets of 15 sec max intensity sets. (Get crazy with it! Nough said.)
- Do the following instead of the clean & press – Choose a weight that you can press only 5 times. While maintaining a straight back, pick up the heavy dumbbell from the floor with both hands and bring it up to your chest. Press the weight twice overhead with both hands. Place the dumbbell back on the floor. Rest 30 seconds. Repeat this for a total of 15 times.
- Do these 3 workouts consistently for 4 weeks. Do them on alternate days ensuring you have at least 1 off day between two workout days. So a mon-wed-fri or a tue-thur-sat type schedule works well.
- Each week try to increase the weight you use by a reasonable about (~ 2kg) while still performing the move with good form.
- Eat real food. If your goal is to gain some mass, eat 3 good meals a day with at least one meal being above appetite. If your goal is to lose fat, eat 2 good meals a day skipping breakfast or 3 small meals a day with all meals being slightly below appetite.
- Bonus: Maintain a diet log and you’ll be surprised at how big an effect that has on your nutrition.
If you do these they way I have laid them out and eat real food, again, per the recommendations, you WILL see results. Period.