3 Workouts, 4 Weeks, Guaranteed Results – Can you stay consistent?

Listen. This stuff works. I’ve tried it myself and have had clients try it too. If you can suck it up for the next 4 weeks and do these 3 workouts per week, you will find yourself in a much better fitness level than right now. Question is, can you stay consistent for these short 4 weeks?

If you said yes, read on ‘cos you’re about to surprise yourself with 4 weeks of effort. If you said no, don’t waste your time reading this. Please continue your eternal search for the magic pill.

– – – – – – – – – – x – – – – – – – – – –

You’re an intermediate if…

• You can comfortably perform 25+ legit pushups and 10+ solid pullups/chinups.
  • You (at least) know what ‘linear progression’ means.
  • You are aware of proper technique in most lifts and are capable of learning new moves fairly quickly.
  • You have done one or more of my previous workouts.

You’re an enthusiastic beginner if…

• You understand you are a beginner and are ready to put in the work required to move up the fitness ladder.
  • You have no ego and are open to modifying moves to suit your fitness level.
  • You are not an idiot and are open to learning technique and fixing your movement patterns before jumping up in weight.
  • You don’t hesitate to comment and ask for modifications and/or ways to work around your injuries, constraints etc.
You need…
  • A pair of dumbbells and a chinups bar/ledge/door
  • A 6ft x 3ft patch of ground
  • About 3 hours of time per week
  • A no-excuse no-BS mindset

Warm up

Do the following in as many sets as required. Take breaks as required. The point is to “warm-up”, so don’t over do it and get wasted.

Intermediates

• 100 Jumping jacks
  • 40 Lunges (10/leg)
  • 40 Squats
  • 20 Broad jumps
  • 60 Arm circles (30/side)
  • 40 Pushups
  • 60 Hinges

Beginners

• 60 Jumping jacks
  • 20 Lunges (10/leg)
  • 20 Squats
  • 10 Broad jumps
  • 60 Arm circles (30/side)
  • 40 Knee-pushups
  • 60 hinges

Workout 1

Intermediates

• Weighted jump squats: 5 sets of 8-12 reps (Goal is to use a weight that allows you to clear the ground comfortably for the entire set. No ugly reps.)
  • Weighted pushups: 5 sets of 8-12 reps (Use a weight that allows you to push off the ground explosively for the entire set. No grinding out reps.)
  • Chinups: 5 sets of max reps (but not going to failure in any set.)

Beginners

• Do only 3 sets per move.
  • Modify. Do bodyweight squat jumps, do pushups or knee pushups instead of weighted ones and do let-me ins instead of chiups.

Workout 2

Intermediates

75 Weighted burpees (Rest as required. Explode in each pushup and each jump. No blurpees. Only solid strong burpees.)

Beginners

• Do 40-75 regular burpees based on your fitness level. If you can 10+ pushups, do 6-step-burpees, else stick to 4-step burpees.
  • Explode in each pushup and each junp. No blurpees. Only solid strong burpees.

Workout 3

Intermediates

• One-arm clean and press: 15 sets of 2 reps per arm (Choose a dumbbell you can press only 5 times. Clean the dumbbell violently and press it twice. Drop, rest 30 sec and repeat on other arm.)
  • High knees in place or wall sprints: 4 sets of 15 sec max intensity sets. (Get crazy with it! Nough said.)

Beginners

• Do the following instead of the clean & press – Choose a weight that you can press only 5 times. While maintaining a straight back, pick up the heavy dumbbell from the floor with both hands and bring it up to your chest. Press the weight twice overhead with both hands. Place the dumbbell back on the floor. Rest 30 seconds. Repeat this for a total of 15 times.

Notes

• Do these 3 workouts consistently for 4 weeks. Do them on alternate days ensuring you have at least 1 off day between two workout days. So a mon-wed-fri or a tue-thur-sat type schedule works well.
  • Each week try to increase the weight you use by a reasonable about (~ 2kg) while still performing the move with good form.
  • Eat real food. If your goal is to gain some mass, eat 3 good meals a day with at least one meal being above appetite. If your goal is to lose fat, eat 2 good meals a day skipping breakfast or 3  small meals a day with all meals being slightly below appetite.
  • Bonus: Maintain a diet log and you’ll be surprised at how big an effect that has on your nutrition.

If you do these they way I have laid them out and eat real food, again, per the recommendations, you WILL see results. Period.

Peace out.

22 responses to “3 Workouts, 4 Weeks, Guaranteed Results – Can you stay consistent?

1. Smita January 4, 2012 at 10:22 am

Raj, after I lost 11lbs in 6 weeks just by following your nutrition plan, I didnt stay consistent thinking that I wasnt shedding lbs anymore. Big mistake! I have cleaned up my diet again this last month and am already seeing the benefits again. This post couldnt have come at a better time for me! A big thank you. I am challenging myself to stay consistent with these workouts. I will definately let you know how well I did. Thanks again!

2. Divya January 4, 2012 at 10:33 am

This stuff works and how!!

3. Sujatha January 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Raj, I have a concern with excercises that involve lifting weights… is it advisable, or is there any special care that needs to be taken for ppl who have had undergone surgeries. I have had 2 c-sections and am concerned if weight/strength training would lead to complications later on… (hernia etc).. Could you please clarify.

4. M. R. Nishanth January 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm

This is brilliant for beginners to start with Raj. I spend the last 1 hour reading about what you posted (yes over & over again), checking videos on what the different types of exercises actually are/what they do to your body and yes, the more important bit – I am going to give it a shot the next 4 weeks & see how it goes. Thanks. Couldn’t have come at a better time.

5. SG January 4, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thanks Raj. Definitely going to give it a try…

6. Mamatha January 4, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Raj,
    Would you provide links for all the exercises you mention? It’ll make it easier for someone seeing your blog for the first time. Thanks!

7. Loveen January 5, 2012 at 10:48 am

Hi Raj,
    Can you give alternatives for lunges and squats for beginners? I am a heavy person and I realized that my knees hurt when I tried them today morning. Thank you!

• RG January 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Loveen,
      Instead of lunges do reverse lunges. THeyre easier on your knees. Use your hand to hold and support your knees until you get strong enough to go without them.

Squats – Stand next to a pole, hold the pole with both arms and squat down and up while still holding the pole. Use the pole as support. Slowly work towards not using the pole.

• Loveen January 11, 2012 at 7:23 am

Hi Raj,
        I completed the second day work out today completely minus lunges. Lunges, forward or reverse are just killing my knees. If I skip lunges, I am able to do squats relatively comfortably without a need for the pole. Just before starting the burpees, I thought I should just go for the minimum of the prescribed 40 but as I reached 40 there was about 20 more minutes left and I pushed myself to do all 75. Boy! It was painful but such an awesome feeling of accomplishment at the end.
        Is it normal to feel like throwing up at the end of the work out? It happened on the first day and even today. Of course there was nothing in the stomach to throw up at that time of the hour.

• RG January 11, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Hey Loveen! Good to know you pushed through and got done with it. 9 out of 10 times, its all in the mind. Once decided, you will get there!

About feeling like throwing up, its normal. You’ll be fine in a couple of workouts.

Keep pushing hard!

8. Kusum Rohra January 7, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Coach can R do this while he is at Uncle Sam’s?

9. Sujatha January 7, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Raj, today was day 2 of workout.. I did a wall pushup(since I couldn’t manage the knee one) and did 12 reps of 3 sets. At the end of which I had a bad muscle pull on both my upper arms… should I just slow down the number of reps or I’m doing something terribly wrong..

10. Pingback: The two paths to fat loss heaven « Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

11. Sanjay Pasumarty August 16, 2012 at 12:20 am

Raj, ive started working from home can you please suggest me how to weighted pushups…/.i dont have tht round weights