Say hello to The Quad

So I’ve been missing in action for a couple of weeks now and while I’m sure not many of you were freaking out, staring at your computer screens holding your breath, I also know all of you will be very pleased with what I am about to share today.

My fitness journey has been very interesting to say the least. For those who don’t know much about me, I was the little boy who got diagnosed with acute sinusitis and asthma when I was 10, the 120 lb preteen, the first bench kid who spent lunch and game hours finishing up homework, the 16 yr old who went on a starvation diet of roti and onions to lose weight, the freshman who played no sport, the graduate student who survived on asthma inhalers, the medical device engineer who ate at Burger King everyday and the young professional who thought exercise was for weirdos and dieting was for old people.

Having cured myself of the asthma, sinusitis, depression and such ignorance and having spent the last few years studying fitness and nutrition, working with numerous clients with innumerable health issues and having been extremely successful, I have decided to make a change.

I’ve decided on… livin the dream!

I quit my super well-paying desk job, sold my awesome Bimmer, gave up every last ounce of luxury I truly earned and I’m leaving the land of opportunities to head back home!

After about 1.5 yrs of ground work, sport performance trainer Arvind Ashok and I are ready to launch our fitness venture in Chennai, India!

Say hello to The Quad!

Check out the website and let us know your thoughts. If you are in Chennai (or know anyone in Chennai) be sure to sign up for the 10-week BootCamp program that we are starting off with ‘cos its gonna be absolutely awesome! Bangalore? Mumbai? Hyderabad? Calcutta? We’ll be there soon… very soon!

Please help us out by spreading the word on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Reddit etc etc (buttons below). And to give just a glimpse of what you can expect from us and The Quad, here is our Manifesto…

We’re sure you know folks who are members of renowned gyms, shelling out their hard earned green on personal training sessions, sacrificing family time to workout 6 days a week and still end up with little-to-no results or only temporary results.

The Test

To understand why this was happening to thousands of fitness enthusiasts nationwide, we put the system to test. We,

• studied the current nutritional and training recommendations in detail.
  • surveyed thousands of people who follow these recommendations.
  • spoke to the trainers and nutritionists behind these recommendations.
  • consulted with, trained with, and got certified by some of the top coaches in world.
  • experimented on ourselves the traditional approach and compared it to other approaches.

The Results

And, after months of research and testing, we found that the fitness industry in India,

• has self-proclaimed gurus, but lacks genuine experts.
  • has too many trainers, but lacks well-qualified coaches.
  • has opinions, but lacks scientifically proven approaches.
  • and most importantly, has enthusiastic customers, but lacks passionate trainers.

As a result, the industry is filled with flashy gyms that are nothing more than machine rentals and populated with under-qualified trainers who are nothing more than gym rats! This is the equivalent of the telecommunications industry being led by telephone operators!

Where Does That Leave Us?

This dearth of professionals and professionalism has forced committed gym-goers like yourself to settle for less. You don’t have a choice but to rely on training and nutritional advice provided by mediocre trainers and nutritionists, who have no understanding of exercise science and human anatomy, and are out of touch with the latest research.

Considering how important health and fitness are, don’t you think it is time you received professional training and nutritional counselling from supremely qualified and passionate coaches?

We think so!

Say what you may, but for fitness in India to reach new heights,

A paradigm shift is necessary.
A revolution is on call.
A redefinition is absolutely essential.

And we are here to make it happen. We are here to be the change!

We quit our fancy super-high paying desk jobs, wrapped up our lavish lives in California, said bye-bye to our daily dose of bacon and jumped on the one-way flight to India to get down and dirty – to redefine fitness!

We are here because we are madly passionate about fitness. We are here because we care. We are here because we believe. We are here to walk the talk.

Our first steps will certainly be small. But make no mistake, we’re here for the long haul.

30 responses to “Say hello to The Quad

1. Lavanya August 2, 2011 at 10:19 pm

All the very best, Raj! As I told Arv, am super excited for you guys and majorly nervous too!! Am tom-tomming everywhere, as I speak!

2. aarthi August 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm

All the best…Chennai is gonna get fitter !!!!

3. Parul August 2, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Yay! Come to Mumbai soon and I will be the first to sign up, I promise. All the best. I have no doubt that The Quad and you will do super well. Here’s to a fitter India, clink!

4. mlc August 2, 2011 at 10:52 pm

awesome web page and WELL detailed! i will def let my friends (who’re serious abt gettng fit!) know abt the quad! name sounds cool too!! GOODLUCK!

5. lavanya August 2, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Oh my God!! I can’t tell u how happy I am… This thought that u might come back to Chennai crossed my mind! However, I thought u might not. Welcome home and I am so excited. I feel closer to my dream!!! Raj and Arvind, thanks a million!!

6. Mamatha August 2, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I’m so excited for you both. All the very best!

7. Deeparnab August 2, 2011 at 11:18 pm

:’ ‘:
    Two thumbs up to the two of you!

8. Smita August 2, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Congratulations and good luck on your new venture Raj and Arvind! I am sure we will be hearing of testimonials of your bootcamps!

9. Rahul August 2, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Congrats and best wishes on your new venture.

10. Sam August 3, 2011 at 4:07 am

..This will be a challenge.. All the Power to you..!!
    Good Luck and Godspeed..!!

11. Anitha August 3, 2011 at 6:13 am

Such great news! Congrats and wish you all the best! I am sure you will succeed. Really happy for you guys, that you found the courage to quit your desk job and follow your dream.

Best,
    Anitha

12. Srinath Nagarajan August 3, 2011 at 6:22 am

Welcome home Raj! Needless to say, I am extremely happy for you and super excited!! Let me know in any way that I can help.

13. Madhu August 3, 2011 at 6:26 am

Congragulations to you, Raj.
    I am confident and hopefull that you will make it big in India. I wish that ‘Quad’ will bring more glories to you.. Good luck and God bless you.

14. RG August 3, 2011 at 9:05 am

Thank you guys! Really appreciate the support! Please spread the good word and make us known.

All said and done… can’t wait to be back home!

15. Reva August 3, 2011 at 9:50 am

Congratulations. I was reading everything in the new site and there was this knot in the stomach – what a big, no make it HUGE step. Leaving comfort zones and venturing into new domains… I am so darn amazed and proud to have known you. Serious hero material pa! Wish you both all the very best!

16. Roopa August 3, 2011 at 10:58 am

Awesome! Congratulations and all the very best!! I am sure you guys will make it big there…

17. Shilpa Peace August 3, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Congratulations and hoping your venture is a big success.

18. Ganesh RK August 3, 2011 at 4:13 pm

All the very best dude…Rock On!!

19. aneetaa August 4, 2011 at 8:19 am

“I quit my super well-paying desk job, sold my awesome Bimmer, gave up every last ounce of luxury I truly earned and Iā€™m leaving the land of opportunities to head back home!”
    – awesome and exhilarating!!! feeling wonderful !!! will sure spread the word out like a fire!!!

20. Namit Sureka August 4, 2011 at 9:06 am

good luck Raj! May you make India a fitter country šŸ™‚

21. bee August 5, 2011 at 2:48 pm

rock on, my friends. all the best.

22. Sundar August 7, 2011 at 11:48 am

All the best Raj and Arvind with your new venture. cheers!

23. Pingback: 3-Week Bodyweight Badassery « Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

24. Shawn Adams August 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm

for visual sake it would be cool if you were doing your sledgehammer work on a larger tractor tire (in the pic). They also provide a nice workout when you take it on a 100 yard walk, flipping down a football field. šŸ™‚
    Good luck Raj! I look forward to visiting india and getting my ass kicked at one of your boot camps one day.

• RG August 8, 2011 at 12:28 pm

There are few things that are as awesome and awful as the tire flip! Gotto love it!

And definitely hit me up when you visit India. There’s more to do than just getting your ass-kicked. You know… like eat and prepare for ass-kicking the next day šŸ˜‰

25. swarna mani August 8, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Good luck on your new journey

26. Archana August 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Congrats and good luck. Dont forget the minions if you strike it big. Stay accesible. I will reach out when I get to Chennai.

27. Pingback: Self Experimentation – Vegetarian Diet (Part 1) « Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

28. Shwetha September 10, 2011 at 4:32 am

Your blog ‘Being Awesome’ felt like it was written for me. Formerly a very active oarsperson, to a bloated 24 year old who knows what has to be done to get fitter, but just crippled with no progress. Being so inconsistent… The blog is a motivator. Another motivator. The action is yet to be taken. I am from Chennai but don’t currently live there. I wish I was in Chennai to attend your bootcamp. All the best !

29. varshatiwary September 15, 2011 at 4:17 am

Btw do you have room for a lady trainer in your Gym !
    Just joking.I have always considered leaving my desk job as an idle fancy but seeing you guys having actually done it -its inspiring !