(Re)Defining Fitness – The Basic Capabilities
April 5, 2011
Posted by on
- play multiple channels.
- be capable of swaping from one channel to another.
- have volume control.
- have remote control capability.
- have color/contrast adjustment capability.
- be portable.
- last for 3-4 years.
- produce picture of good quality without streaks.
- be cable ready.
These are what you expect from a machine called Television. I’m not talking about LCD/HD/Flatscreen TVs. I’m talking about the oh-so-common run-of-the-mill 24″ color TV that anyone in almost any country can afford today. It is an idiot box for which you pay a very modest amount of money and you still expect it to perform at a certain level. Why? Because it is ‘meant to’ perform at that level! It was designed with these features and it needs to live up to the design. If it doesn’t… well then its just a piece of junk!
Now your body is a machine too. Albeit, a much more complex, a much more valuable and a MUCH MUCH more capable machine. So what is your machine capable of?
- squat till your butt touches the floor?
- run fast as you laugh your ass off?
- jump around for hours without getting exhausted?
- go for long hours with even thinking about food?
- sleep like you’ve been hit by a log?
- carry a 40-lb backpack and walk miles?
- climb a tree?
Well, these are things every 8 yr old can do! And guess what… you were able to do every single one of these things when you were 8 yrs old! What about the adult version? Can you…
- jump over a 15 inch parapet wall?
- run a mile without gasping for breath?
- do a few push-ups?
- at least a single pull-up?
- bend at your waist and touch your toes?
- lift 100-lb off the floor and not damage your back?
- cover long distances by foot? say walk 10 km?
- easily go 24 hours without food?
- climb a rope?
- squat down with your heels on the floor and butt low enough to touch your heels?
- wake up every morning feeling well rested, strong and awesome?
It’s not about being able to do one of these things. You HAVE TO be able to do every single one of these things because these are the basic capabilities of the human body!
Why? Because you were designed to be able to do all these things! Because your body has the potential to build enough muscle and strength and endurance and flexibility and mobility to be able to perform these feats! Because like how telephone is a telephone only if it can make calls, a human body is a human body only if it is capable of effortlessly exhibiting these actions! If it isn’t… well then its just another piece of junk!
Listen – I’m not trying to guilt trip you here. I’m only trying to tell you that these basic movements are pre-programmed in you… like talking and hunger and greed. Sure you have spent the last how-many-ever years in successfully reprogramming your body to do nothing but sit in front of a computer, but what you were born with never goes away! These things are there for the taking! This is money on the table! Just open your eyes, reach out and grab it!
Your body is one bloody awesome piece of equipment. It superior to every other equipment you have ever come across and it is the only thing… ONLY thing… that will stick with you forever.
So don’t let anyone tell you what you can or can not do. Set your goal and go get it. Period.
Picture credit: Industrialfocus