Walking The Talk – Update

Note:

1. I am into “fitness” and my goal is to get as strong and fast as possible while staying healthy and lean.
  2. I’m not into bodybuilding and hence care more about my strength and endurance than my bicep measurement.
  3. You can see my other updates here, here, and here.

Why do I post updates?

Well, because I want my readers and clients to know I don’t just sit there and say stuff. I’m not one of those internet fitness experts who use the picture they clicked in 1987! I believe in what I recommend. I practice what I preach. I walk the talk!

Anyways, the last time I gave you guys an update was in December, so I figured it is time for one. So, here ya go…

Nutrition:

• 90% real food with some cheats here and there.
  • Very laid back. Ate out as much as I cooked at home.
  • 2-3 meals a day. Intermittent fasting (Leangains) on most days.
  • Protein sources: Meat, eggs, whey (~ 150-175 gm protein per day).
  • Carb sources: Sweet potato, white rice, other veggies.
  • Fat sources: Avocado, butter, coconut, dairy
  • Click here for more specifics on my nutrition.

Training:

• Full body strength training 3 days a week.
  • Sprint once a week.
  • Ab work: Maybe 1 set of 8-10 hanging leg raises per week.
  • Off days: Walking (~45-60 min), mobility work, handstands, pistols etc.
  • Click here to see what my training looks like.

Results:

• Back Squat 5RM went up 25 lb.
  • Front Squat 5RM went up 15 lb.
  • Deadlift 5RM went up 15 lb.
  • Dumbbell Press 8RM Went up 10 lb.
  • Bodyweight Chin-ups went up by 4 reps.
  • Weighted Chin-up 5RM went up 5 lb.
  • Bodyweight went down 4 lbs in 12 weeks.
  • Recent picture below…

Peace out.

17 responses to “Walking The Talk – Update

1. Mahesh April 1, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Awesome! Very proud of you my friend! You stuck to your goals, you were determined, with clean eating (++) . 25 lb + in back squats, 15 lbs in FS and DL with 4 lb reduction – phenomenal.
    Hats off to you. Best.

2. Yogini April 1, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Raj,
    How can I stay as motivated to workout? How do I stay focused on my diet? Your post has inspired me to work HBFSer šŸ™‚
    Cheers!

3. Deepti Natarajan April 1, 2011 at 9:44 pm

u r right.. i think for most people the problem is only to get started and sustain. and the obstacles to sustain are th crazy diets that people start following and rapid work outs and obsessions that gets on to them. but if these numbers dont drive you crazy and you have real food and good work out that you eventually begin to enjoy and cant live without, you cant help but see results. Murali and I are seeing great results. we are thoroughly enjoying food. we dont starve. and we hate eatin rice-for-no-reason. in fact the discovery and cooking of clean food and work out has become a bonding factor in our marriage. šŸ™‚

• RG April 2, 2011 at 2:53 am

Wow… looks like I’ve got charge you guys for some kind of marriage counseling in addition to fitness consulting! šŸ˜‰

Am really happy things are working out for you guys. As always, never hesitate to email with any questions.

4. Mamatha April 2, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Amazing results Raj! In addition to fitness and nutrition, how about providing some motivation coaching too šŸ™‚

• RG April 4, 2011 at 6:14 am

Thank you Mamatha!

Am working on some motivational posts. Expect some serious inspirational stuff!

5. Michelle April 3, 2011 at 6:58 am

You’re looking great, Raj!

6. Vijay Kaushik April 3, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Hey Raj, I am trying to introduce some cardio-trapped friends of mine to real food etc. I think your blog could be a great starting point. Would you be able to index some of your fitness and nutrition ‘101’ posts either in the page or in your about me? I think that would really help newbies.

• Vijay Kaushik April 3, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I just saw the trackbacks below the About Me. Maybe those would do.

• RG April 4, 2011 at 6:13 am

Cool idea. I’ll create a static page which has the most important posts and categorize them…. like a Start Here thing.

Until then, have you tried clicking on the various ‘categories’?

7. sowmya April 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Awesome! Your life story is truly amazing.

Same q as yogini and some more: what are your thoughts on resisting temptations that comes with occupation ie people that spend most of their time around food, say chefs, moms etc? What are your thoughts on binge eating disorder?

• RG April 5, 2011 at 11:38 pm

mmm… definitely a hard situation… but the answer is in your question – it all comes down the resisting temptations. I have some whacky ideas for this. I’ll try to put it all together in the form of a blog post.