Random thoughts on nutrition
January 20, 2011
Posted by on
I jotted down my random thoughts on exercise here… and now it’s time for nutrition.
- Eating less is good. Eating hardly anything is stupid.
- Real food rules.
- I don’t care if it is fortified with vitamins or tested by expert doctors or proven to help kids think better… if it comes in a box it you better watch out.
- Bran muffins are not health food. If you need the fiber eat 4-6 cups of cooked spinach, mushrooms, asparagus or Brussels sprouts and a cup or two of raspberries.
- Breakfast is not the most important meal of the day. The most important meal of the day is the meal that follows some form of intense activity.
- Fake meat is terrible and doesn’t clean the blood off your hands.
- Red meat does not cause cancer.
- Flavored coffee is bad. Mocha, frappe, chai latte they’re all the same and they belong in the dessert section.
- If you’re visibly overweight you have no business even looking at the dessert section. That section is reserved for lean active people (to enjoy occasionally).
- Eat more vegetables. Much more than what you eat now.
- Quit counting calories. Assess by how you look and feel.
- If you suspect you are addicted to any food, be it KitKat or raw broccoli, drop it for a month.
- The best way to lose fat is by going low carb.
- Low fat diets, for fat loss or general health, is extremely unhealthy.
- Saturated fat is not harmful. Your cell walls are made of saturated fat.
- Fasting/skipping meals is extremely beneficial to health.
- Fruits are natures candy to us. Eat them sparingly.
- A vegetarian diet can be extremely healthy if adequate protein and fats are consumed.
- I don’t care what you say, if you are visibly overweight you are eating more than you should be eating.
- The human digestive system is more like that of a dog than a sheep.
- Type 2 diabetes can be cured/controlled with diet.
- If you ate only meat and vegetables for the rest of your life you would live a long disease free life. If you ate only grains and fruit for the rest of your life you wouldn’t live too long.
- Rice along with potatoes, yams and other tubers are rich in starch and should be consumed post activity to reap the benefits.
- You’re probably are allergic to gluten (found in wheat) at some level.
- The smart thing to do is to place most of your daily calories right after your workout/intense activity.
- Fat loss is only a side effect of good nutrition. There is much more to be gained.