How I went from Fat to Fit in 10 Weeks

OK I have to agree that the title is a bit over the top. I wasn’t really ‘fat’ to start off with (just flabby with a broken elbow and wrist) and I’m not really ‘fit’ now… or at least not as fit as I’d like to be. That said I’ll try to list out what I ate and how I trained during the course of the past 2.5 months.

By the way, if you’re just tuning in, be sure to check out some background.

How and what did I eat?

• I ate a 90% paleo/primal diet per guidelines from Mark Sisson/Robb Wolf and did Intermittent Fasting per the Leangains (Martin Berkhan) protocol. This had a huge part to play in the success of my leaning out. Richard Nikoley was another source of awesome information!
  • Total calories per day – Did not count. Best guess ~ 1500-2000 cals.
  • Number of meals – 2 (1-2pm and 8-9pm).
  • Protein ~ 150-180 grams per day.
  • Carbs – All from vegetables. At least 2 lbs of vegetables everyday.
  • FatsMostly saturated (coconut oil, coconut butter, coconut milk, butter/ghee etc.). Nuts were minimal.
  • I ate some form of protein ice cream/pudding/cake everyday (I’ve got about 10 delicious protein rich dessert recipes if anyone is interested).
  • Supplements: Fish oil, Multi-vitamin, Vitamin D3, Magnesium, Whey Protein
  • Beverages: 1 Cappuccino/coffee everyday. 4-5 liters of water everyday.
  • Cheat Meals: About every 10-14 days depending on when I started craving sugar.

What was my training like?

• 5-6 days of training per week. Mostly 3-on-1-off schedule.
  • Strength training: 3-4 days/week (squats, deadlifts, presses, pull-ups, rows).
  • Conditioning: 3-4 days/week (tabata protocols, sprints, rowing, crossfit metcons).
  • Yoga: 2 days/week.
  • The longest distance I ran: 1 mile
  • The longest ‘cardio’ workout I did: 15 mins
  • Weekly routine: See sample below.

Monday:

• Squats – 2-4 sets of 5 (AM)
  • Lower body assistance work (box jumps, front squats, step ups etc.) (AM)
  • 10-15 min Conditioning Workout (PM)

Tuesday:

• Presses – 2-4 sets of 5 (AM)
  • Core work – planks, knees-to-elbows etc. (AM)
  • 10-15 min Conditioning Workout (PM)

Wednesday:

• Yoga/Walking

Thursday:

• Deadlifts – 2-3 sets of 5 (AM)
  • Dumbbell Rows – 3-5 sets of 6-10 (AM)
  • 5-10 min Conditioning Workout (PM)

Friday:

• Bench Press – 3 sets of 5 (AM)
  • Weighted Pullups – 5 sets of 3 (AM)
  • Upper body assistance work (dips, towel pullups, rope climbs, ring pushups, dumbbell presses etc.) (AM)

Saturday:

• 2 sessions of 10-15min Conditioning workouts (AM)

Sunday:

• Yoga/Walking

Results:

• Elbow fracture ~ 95% recovery
  • Wrist tendonitis ~ 90% recovery
  • Lower Body Strength – Maintained (I did lose some strength by week 7 but successfully regained it in the last 3 weeks).
  • Upper Body Strength – Maintained (I did lose some strength by week 7 but successfully regained it in the last 3 weeks).
  • Endurance – Considerable improvement
  • Range of Motion – Considerable improvement (Yoga works!)
  • Weight loss – Total 13 lbs in 10 weeks
  • Body Fat % – Visible improvement (See comparison pictures below)

Day 0                                                                            Day 70

Next Steps:

• End leaning cycle: I’m comfortable with this level of leanness. Chasing lower than current body fat levels requires that I make some diet and health related sacrifices which I am not willing to make right now. Continuing to lean out will also result in affecting my athletic performance negatively which is not desirable.
  • Focus on performance: Specifically strength, strength endurance and speed.
  • Maintain food quality. Increase food quantity. Add-in starchy vegetables post workout for faster recovery.
  • Increase training volume (probably a 5 x 5 protocol) and hit each major body part at least twice a week (HFT)

Goals for Oct ’10:

• Set PR for 400 m and 1600 m sprints.
  • Set PR for 250 m and 500 m row.
  • Set PR for Weighted Pull-up, Max Bodyweight Pullups and Deadlift.
  • Grip/forearm training everyday.
  • Sept PR for Max plank hold time.

Next Update: Last week of October ’10

Peace out.

25 responses to “How I went from Fat to Fit in 10 Weeks

1. Arun September 27, 2010 at 5:02 am

Thanks buddy. I’ve read about giving sufficient rest for your muscles to recoup after a weight training workout. Your routine explanation helps.

2. Christopher September 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Recipes for ‘Protein’ dessert, heck yes!!!!!
    Please post or email.

thanks

*I too am giving Paleo a whirl and had wicked tendonitis from Boxing 3 times a week. Took a week off from boxing and am 2 months in on Paleo and MUCH improved elbow….
    Attended Robb Wolf Lecture and decided to give Paleo a try after hearing about inflammation issues.
    Awesome Job Sir.

3. Angela N September 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both wrists and tendonitis in my right forearm from computer (over-)use for over ten years. Then, I went Primal/Paleo and started CrossFit at the beginning of 2010. Four months later, I have virtually no pain in my wrists. Still around the same level of computer usage. I think the combination of removing inflammatory agents in the diet as well as strengthening soft tissue was the key, as I have tried strength training alone (although not CrossFit) before and it didn’t really help.

4. nem September 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Id love those recipes if you could email them to me.
    breathemetal@gmail.com
    thanks man!
    great progress

5. Zack September 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I’d love to get my hands on those protein dessert recipes as well. Would you mind emailing them to me? icedover11@aol.com

6. Matt September 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Nice work!

The methods you’ve based your experience on definitely work. I do something similar!

Please post or email me those protein recipe desserts!

I like to put a scoop of chocolate whey protein with chocolate ice cream mixed with peanut butter or reeses cups.

7. RG September 27, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Guys… will post the protein dessert recipes soon. I’ve got a couple of articles I’m working on. So immediately after that.

8. Sheila September 28, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Cool – thanks for sharing this. Just stumbled on your site and read your “story.” Wow!

9. malpaz September 28, 2010 at 6:21 pm

awesome results!!!!!!!!!

10. kanatachiropractic September 30, 2010 at 7:13 am

Thanks for laying it all out. It’s always great to see all of the details.

Could you please post or e-mail me the recipes.

Thanks and congrats on the transformation!

11. Julia Bancroft September 30, 2010 at 11:03 am

Would you mind posting what some of your “conditioning” workouts were? I’m looking for ideas to broaden my current plan.

• RG October 1, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Julia,
      I’ve posted a bunch of conditioning workouts. Try the search option. I’ll continue to post more too.

12. RG October 26, 2010 at 10:45 pm

All,
    One protein recipe is up.

I will post the other in the next few days.

13. Pingback: The Prof. Mark Haub Nonsense « Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

14. Pingback: Training Update & Results – Sept to Nov ’10 « Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

15. Julian December 21, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Congrats for your results and giving your best!

I’m curious about what type of Yoga did you do,
    because I’m interested in doing some and I don’t
    know much about Yoga at all.

The reason I want to do Yoga resembles a little bit
    with yours, that is: I want to be more flexible, have
    a better mobilty and improve my ROM in squats and
    other various lifts, stretches and poses.

Please post your answer here or your e-mail if you want
    to communicate that way.

Thanks,

– Julian.

16. Smita April 1, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I ate some form of protein ice cream/pudding/cake everyday (I’ve got about 10 delicious protein rich dessert recipes if anyone is interested).– Could you please share these recipes? Thanks!

• RG April 2, 2011 at 2:54 am

I posted a few. Search for them under recipes. Also, check out my FB group for more.

I’ll post a few more in the coming weeks.

17. Alex November 10, 2011 at 3:58 pm

hi, nice work, i look pretty much the same as you do, i also have that flabby skin on my belly, not really fat but stretchy skin, did you manage to lose some of it or tone it?

18. FIsh Oil benefits August 3, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve be aware your stuff previous to and you’re simply extremely excellent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the best way wherein you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it sensible. I can’t wait to learn much more from you. This is really a great website.