Water Container Workout (with Videos)

Was at an apartment gym this evening. The gym has a couple of treadmills, some ellipticals, some stationary bikes, lat pulldown station, bicep/tricep station, bench press machine and leg press station. Of course… it had no free weights. I skipped all these stupid machines and went directly to…

Water containers! These blue bombs were 50 lbs each (when filled with 5 gal of water) and had the weirdest handles! The best part… since they had wobbling water inside, stabilization was a task (especially for core-work). Definitely harder than using a regular dumbbell. Anyways todays workout had clean & squat, swings, situps, running and some core work (see pic below) and since I wasn’t feeling up to doing a timed workout I did a circuit at medium intensity not for time.

Next time you see one of these containers try to do a couple of these workouts… you’ll know what I mean by stabilization. They’re super fun and the day you actually have to lift one of these suckers at work or at home… you’ll be the star!

There’s always stuff around the house that you can use to get a kick-ass workout done. No equipment is never an excuse!

Peace.

8 responses to “Water Container Workout (with Videos)

1. Lavanya July 18, 2010 at 2:54 am

Well I have lifted these the few times I had to change the canisters at home but a workout?! Bleddy hell!

• RG July 18, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Think about it… you arent going to use your dumbbells in an everyday life scenario. It’s awesome to use such real world items for workouts every once in a while. They’re fun… and I’m sure they’ll come in handy when I have to swing a water canister over my head 😉

2. Lavanya July 18, 2010 at 3:05 am

Is the dog alright, btw?

3. Mahesh July 18, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Nice job Raj!

4. nigellindermann September 10, 2010 at 2:37 am

RG,

I am sure you are aware of similar videos abt water-container-workout already available on the web

e.g.

and

Some of my friends have been doing this for years in their routine workouts

• RG September 10, 2010 at 8:59 am

Nigel,
      Yes. Hundreds of people have done thousands of exercises using equipment which isn’t traditionally considered ‘workout equipment’. The point of this post is to urge folks to get creative with the available equipment.

5. Pingback: Why your excuses are BS (Part 1) « Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.