I’ve mentioned a few functional movements previously and today I’d like to look into ‘jumping’ in some detail. Jumping is a very basic movement that pretty much all of us can do without any training per se. Here is why, how and when.
Movement: Compound (involving multiple muscle groups)
Muscles involved: Quadriceps, glutes, hamstrings, abdominals, calf muscles (gastrocnemius & soleus), lower back muscles, shoulder & arm muscles.
Joints involved: Ankle joint, knee joint, hip joint & shoulder joint. (Try jumping without using one of these joints. You won’t jump too far/high!)
Benefits of jumping:
– When done by itself or when included as a part of a workout jumping can ramp up your heart rate very quickly which is great for fat loss.
– Provides greater utilization of lower body muscles.
– Helps in increasing ability to generate power.
– Aids in developing better full body coordination.
Types of jumps:
I personally do stand alone box jumps or add jumps to my workouts 2-3 times a week and have my clients do jumps at least 1-2 times a week. These are the various types of jumps I recommend you start off with.
– Squat Jump: Demo
– Tuck Jump: Demo
– Jumping Lunges: Demo
– Frog Jumps: Demo
– Box Jumps: Demo
– Jump Rope: Demo
– Double Unders: Demo
Incorporating jumps into your workout:
– Include 10-15 reps of squat jumps or tuck jumps or frog jumps or box jumps as a part of your conditioning workouts.
– Double under are hard to learn. But once you get them they’re an awesome conditioning tool. Do a bunch of double unders for time or add 20-30 reps as a part of your conditioning workouts.
– Jump rope (single unders) can be used as warm up, cool down or even as a medium intensity workout.
– Burpees, in addition to all the beautiful things, has a jump component too! So… do burpees!
– Include box jumps as a stand alone workout. Start with a 20″ box for example. Do 3 jumps. Move on to a 24″ box. Do 3 more jumps. Add more height by placing a 45 lbs bumper plate on it. Do 3 jumps. Add more height. Keep doing till you think you’ve reached your max. You’ll get here soon.
And yes… anyone can jump. So no excuses!