‘All soft drinks are not created equal… some will kill you sooner and some later’
Let’s look at a few examples to see why that line is true. Consider the ingredients in some of the famous sodas.
Carbonated water, sucrose, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine.
Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, natural flavors, sodium citrate and sodium benzoate.
Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, sugar, phosphoric acid, caffeine, citric acid and natural flavors.
Funny shit right? There are people who’re like ‘Dude! Coke is wayyyyy better than pepsi!’ or vice versa… but the ingredients are all the same!! The diet/zero versions of these drinks just replace sugar with sweeteners and have more chemicals added!
Carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine, aspartame, potassium benzoate (to protect taste), potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium
Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine, aspartame, potassium benzoate (to protect taste),citric acid.
Carbonated water = Water + carbon dioxide. Wait… isn’t carbon dioxide what we exhale? Ouch! Read more here.
Sugar/Sucrose = Table sugar. Like we don’t get enough of this! Each can has ~ 40 gm of sugar!
High fructose corn syrup = Corn syrup + enzymatic processing + mercury poisoning! Nice! Read more here.
Caffeine = Stimulant
Caramel Color = Food coloring. All healthy food is brown right? Read more here.
“Natural flavors” = Nothing natural about it! Read more here.
So from the little analysis above…
Soft drinks = Sugar + Carbon dioxide + Stimulants + Chemicals + lab made “natural flavors”
and you down several cans of these everyday… perfect!
Negatives of soft drinks:
1. Each can of soft drink has 41 gm (~ 10 teaspoons) of sugar. Say you have jussssst one a day. Now that is
365 cans = 3,650 teaspoons of sugar = 15,000 gm of sugar = 15 kg of sugar!!!
and this is in addition to all the other sugar you get… from sweets, chocolates, cereals, coffee etc etc etc!
2. Diet coke/pepsi to the rescue! No sugar right? Right. But feeding your body a truck load of artificial sweeteners & chemicals ain’t any better for you. A whole blog post needs to be written on artificial sweeteners to explain the dangers that arise.
3. The Phosphoric acid neutralizes the hydrochloric acid in the stomach. This lead to digestive difficulties and interference with nutrient absorption. Read article here.
4. People who consume soft drinks are more prone to tooth decay. Read publication here.
5. Soft drinks are associated with higher risk of obesity and decreasing level of blood calcium and increasing urinary calcium excretion, which may lead to osteoporosis later in life. Read publication here.
6. There is good evidence that cola beverages can increase the risk of kidney problems. Read publication here.
7. Fructose ingestion elicits an increase in blood pressure. Read publication here.
I’ll admit… I was one soft drink guzzler too (well… who wasn’t!). I inhaled a liter or more of these everyday. But dumping soft drinks was one of the best things I ever did. Do it and you will not regret it. Trust me on this one!
Water for thirst. Some coffee for caffeine.