April 29, 2011
Posted by on
I’ve been writing too many long, detailed and serious posts lately. Ugh! I feel weird and old and can only imagine how sick you guys feel reading all this!
Generally, I like to keep the information simple to understand and my writing fun to read. So I figured its time for a random thoughts post.
Here we go…
- Whey protein, in all its greatness, is basically a sugar fix for most people (myself included)! Try eating the unsweetened unflavored ones and you’ll run to the closest meat market instead!
- None of my clients/readers have had any problems whatsoever in following the ‘eat real food’ guidelines… as long as they get to eat some rice and whey post workout!
- Low carb eaters eat way more vegetables than high carb eaters. Most folks I put on a low carb diet eat ~1-3 lb of vegetables everyday!
- Low carb doesn’t mean ‘no carb’. It just means you don’t stuff your face with carbs in every meal every damn day!
- I see many readers and clients of mine going from munching fries and pizza and savory fried snacks to eating vegetables and yogurt and nuts and eggs instead. And surprisingly they seem to lose fat, sleep better, get rid of joint pains and eliminate bloating instantly. I wonder why!
- There are two things which play a much more critical role on health, fat loss and strength than diet does. They are sleep and work/life stress level.
- Its awesome how I don’t have to write about the ill effects of smoking ‘cos if you’re reading my blog you better know smoking kills.
- I love my clients. 100% of them are super legit. They eat and move exactly as told. They ask a million questions to ensure they understand why they’re doing what they’re doing. They get results! Simple right?
- It is unbelievable how some people do the low-fat + cardio gig and are stuck at the same weight for years. Then I ask them to eat a lot of fat and stop doing cardio… and suddenly they lose pounds after pounds within a couple of weeks!
- It is funny to see people (non-bodybuilders) trying to hit their abs from every angle there is, then suffer from lower back pain and then do more of the same ab work to strengthen their core! Talk about chasing your own tail (bone).
- Ever wonder why doctors, nutritionists and registered dieticians recommending a low fat, whole grain based diet are fat and/or have a tummy and/or look dry and weak? Hint: Its not because they don’t get enough exercise!
- Vegetarians don’t like to hear they aren’t saving animals by staying away from meat and (health conscious) meat eaters don’t like to hear that its possible to lead a healthy life without meat. Having been on both sides of the fence, my best advice to you is… stay away from such arguments!
- Doctors don’t learn much about nutrition and they are too busy treating patients that they don’t have the time to keep up with the latest advances in the field of nutrition. If you have a chronic diseases, chances are your nutrition is causing it or can cure it. So, in addition to seeing a doctor, see a legit nutritionist and/or do some research on the subject. You’ll be happy you did.
- If you (or someone you know) can make only two changes towards a healthier diet, 1) go gluten-free and 2) avoid vegetable oils.
- And to make myself accountable, I’ll write about the following in the next week (or two)…
- Cardio – A Redefinition
- The Truth Behind Saturated Fats
- Grains – The Good, Bad & Ugly
- Macronutrient ratios
- Statins – The Good, Bad & Ugly
- Women & Strength Training